Thursday, June 28, 2012

Celebrating 28 years {Part 1}

John was very specific this year with his birthday wishes and how he wanted to celebrate.  Homemade Fettuccine Alfredo Thursday night.  Outback Friday night.  If you don’t know this about John, I'm here to tell you- the boy l-o-v-e-s Outback.
 
Anyways, I agreed {or so he thought} although in my head I tried to convince myself  that Outback can’t be that bad or dirty.  yeah right.  ok, their cheesy fries are good and their blooming onion may be too. but dirty is dirty and I admit I may be the worlds pickiest eater. Another thing you may not know is John and I are horrible at keeping secrets.  terrible.  We have never given a present to each other either a. on the actual occasion or b. without leaking what it was, when we would gift it, etc.  An idea hit me one day and I went with it.  I was hell bent to keep this from him!  More on this to come… it will have to wait for another post!
 
I was excited/ nervous of his expectations of this fettuccine alfredo.  I love to cook but under pressure- no thank you.  As a recommendation from a friend, I used The Pioneer Woman’s recipe and added a couple of things.  It. was. delicious. 
First, I melted a stick of butter then added the heavy creamIMG_5131I sautéed onion and garlic with EVOO then added broccoli, mushrooms, chopped onions and baconIMG_5132While that was cooking, I poured the cream sauce over parmesan cheese and allowed it to sitIMG_5138and cooked the noodlesIMG_5137I added shrimp to the veggies- special request by the birthday boyIMG_5136then tossed the veggies and shrimp and noodles into the sauce…IMG_5141I served it with garlic bread and a saladIMG_5142IMG_5143Birthdays are a great excuse to pull out the fine china, right?IMG_5139IMG_5140IMG_5145The fettuccine was SO easy and yummy not to mention it made for one happy boy!  I will definitely be making it again.
For dessert, caramel cake and white russians were served.  John loves caramel cake and conveniently there is a little café in Columbia that makes the best ones!  IMG_5151IMG_5152We rolled ourselves into bed after the 10,000 calories we consumed but it was totally worth it! 
The celebrations are just beginning.  Stay tuned…

1 comment:

Jessie said...

Your china is GORG! Your wedding pictures are out of this world! You were a stunning bride!