Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Wedding Wednesday {the dress}

I realize I have made the statement “This has been the most fun so far” multiple times.  I have to admit I may have been telling a little white lie.  This has truly been the most fun I have had during engaged life so far but also one of the most difficult.  This meaning shopping for THE  perfect dress. 

Some history:  My grandmother owned a dress shop when my mom and her 6 sisters were younger.  Seriously, could you even imagine… an endless supply of clothes at your exposure?!? Well, my mom and 5 of her sisters all wore the same dress.  A dress that was a dream back in the day.  When my older sister, Amy, was getting married she decided she wanted to forgo the dress shopping and “redesign” my mom and aunts dress.  I cannot give too much detail or any for that matter because my younger sister, Boo, has decided to wear it also!  I have never been one to dream of my wedding but for as long as I can remember, I have always dreamt of  the dress and what I wanted.  As much as I LOVE my mom’s, aunts and sisters dress, I immediately knew it just wasn’t for me.  That is where it was difficult.  My mom told me early on that my dad was struggling with my decision once he found out.  I'm not sure if it was because he wasn’t looking forward to me finding a new dress at his expense or that he wasn’t walking me down the aisle in the same dress my mom walked down to him in or he walked the first 2 sisters down the aisle in.  Either way, I know I made the right decision. 

Rewind back to June.  June 18th to be exact.  My mom, sisters and I met at Evelyn’s to start my search for the dress.  Honestly, I started the process thinking I knew what I wanted.  I was told by many that most people go in searching for what they think they want and leave with what they never thought they’d choose.  I was more nervous than anything to slip into a wedding dress.  Any wedding dress.  The idea was crazy to me in an unexplainable way. Unbeknownst to me, my mom and sisters already had a selection of dresses for me to try when I arrived.  I was told to try on the one that drew my eye first.  best. advice. ever.  I probably tried on 20 and kept going back to the first.  Needless to say, I left with a dress and a huge smile!  John later admitted that he was secretly hoping and praying that I found the dress that day.  I did and I can’t wait for him to see me in it for the first time on our wedding day!!

No comments: