Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Ms. Julie’s Chili

One of our very favorite meals to enjoy when the weather turns cold is Chili and with the temperatures dropping, I decided it was time to cook up my first pot!  My mom has used this recipe from Ms. Julie,one of her friends, for years now and I am lucky to have gotten my hands on it too.  We prefer to substitute the ground beef with venison but since I’m not allowed to eat it, John has to suffer through with me. chili
Ingredients:
1/2 lb ground beef
3 cups chopped onion
1 large chopped green pepper
4 cloves minced garlic
2 16 ounce cans chopped tomato {undrained}
1 15 ounce can kidney beans  {undrained}
1 15 ounce can black beans {undrained}
1/2 lb fresh mushrooms
1 cup picante sauce
3 tablespoons chili powder
3 teaspoons ground cumin
3 teaspoons salt
1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
 
Directions:
Brown beef with onions, green pepper and garlic.  Drain and add remaining ingredients.  Boil for 3 minutes, cover and reduce heat.  Cook for 45 minutes, stirring often.  Serve with cheese, sour cream and/ or fritos.chili dinnerTonight I also whipped up some three cheese biscuits.  I’d like to say from scratch but one of my friends suggested using the Bisquick mix.  I’m glad I did- they were tasty and far less effort.
If you are looking for something to warm you up, I promise this meal won’t disappoint!

No comments: