Sunday, December 30, 2012

Lean in 2013

Ok we all know that will not hold true for me, at least not until after March.  I think my nesting is starting to kick in.  Maybe just in the kitchen.  I love a good meal these days and thankfully I’ve gotten my appetite back for a few healthy options. 
I’ve steered clear of Salmon during this pregnancy, mainly because it’s a favorite fish of mine and I didn’t want it to become a food I could never look at again.  They also tell you not to eat a lot of it because of the mercury. However, John requested lemon and herb salmon packets for dinner Friday.  My mom makes them at home a lot and they are so healthy and tasty!  I altered the recipe just a little, cooking them in the oven instead of on the grill and adding a few ingredients.salmonIngredients:
2 cups uncooked instant rice
1 can fat free or low sodium chicken broth
1 cup matchstick-cut carrots
4 salmon filets
1 teaspoon lemon pepper
1/3 cup chopped chives
1 medium lemon {sliced}
1/2 cup cubed mushrooms {added}
1 cup fresh spinach leaves {added}
 
Directions:
Heal coals or oven to 400 degrees.  Spray four sheets of aluminum foil. 
Mix rice and broth.  Let stand for about 5 minutes or until broth is mostly absorbed.  Stir in carrots.
Place salmon on center of foil and sprinkle with lemon pepper and top with chives.  Arrange lemon slices over salmon then spoon rice mixture around the filets.  Top with mushroom and spinach.  Seal foil and cook for 11-14 minutes on grill or 40 minutes in oven. salmon2

No comments: